Monday, July 13, 2015

5 Reasons to Flip Your Math Class

Of all the subjects, math is probably my favorite to teach. But it is definitely not easy. By the time students are in fourth grade, there's often a wide range of abilities. Last year, I had students who could barely add and subtract and others who were working well beyond grade level. Trying to design lessons that worked for them was a real challenge. If I moved too quickly through the lesson, several students would get lost. If I moved too slowly, others would get bored and start causing different problems.

Then I attended the Georgia Educational Technology Conference and heard some sessions about flipped teaching, and a lightbulb went off.

If you're not already familiar with flipped teaching, the idea is that we need to "flip" the traditional way we teach -- lesson at school, practice problems at home as homework. Instead, students should watch a short video lesson as homework to prepare for class, and then the majority of class time is spent working on practice and application while I'm there to guide them.

I did this pretty consistently for the second half of the year, and I couldn't be happier with the results. There were so many advantages.


1. Students became more confident.

For some kids, math can be intimidating. Everyone works at different speeds. What may be an obvious concept for one kid may take multiple explanations for another. There's lots of vocabulary and room for mistakes, and when you feel like other kids are getting it faster than you, your confidence suffers.

All of this went away when I flipped.

Students were watching the videos at home on their own. No one knew whether they needed to replay something a couple of times until they got it. No one knew that they had to pause the video for 5 minutes to try a problem that others would have solved in 30 seconds. They could all work at their own pace, and they came to class more confident and prepared for practice the following day. The attitude shift in my students this year was reason enough for me to continue flipping.

2. Parents were less stressed.

There have been so many times when I've heard parents complain about math or express their discomfort in helping their child because they weren't taught math the way we teach it now. And I get that. I remember thinking in my math methods courses that I could have been great at math if someone had explained it to me better as a child rather than having me memorize algorithms.

Having the flipped model created allies from a lot of math-hating parents. Some would watch the videos along with their children and have those lightbulb moments where concepts and strategies would suddenly make sense. Others expressed a sense of relief that they didn't have to worry about "undoing" the things we were doing in the classroom by just jumping to the standard algorithms. We were all more comfortable with the math.

3. I had more time to see what students could actually do.

While I always tried to keep my in-class mini-lessons short, there were days when they would drag on because some kids just weren't getting it. By the time I felt confident they could try some problems on their own, we hardly had any time left. And by the time they got home to do it as homework, they'd forgotten what we'd spent the morning talking about, so they were back to square one.

Now that I've flipped, I only need 5-10 minutes maximum at the beginning of my math block to do anything whole group. I spend that time answering questions, clarifying any misconceptions, and checking the 1-2 practice problems that I typically include at the end of the video. The rest of my math block was then spent working with small groups, conferring with kids, and getting into richer practice and problem solving than I could ever fit in before.

I also didn't have to worry about students getting the right answers only when their parents "helped" them. When it came time for assessments, I had a much better sense of where my students were at and what to expect from them because I was more deeply involved in their learning.

4. I didn't have to worry when we had a sub. 

In the past, I would write off sub days as lost instructional time when it came to math. Now that I've flipped, that is no longer the case. I include a link to the video I've created in my sub plans, and I have the sub watch the video with the class again to start the lesson. Usually that gives the sub enough background knowledge to help with the learning task, and my students have enough scaffolding from my instruction that they can work through the practice. It made those lost days so much more productive.

This year, I will be on maternity leave for 12 weeks, so I'm nervous about what will happen with my kids while I'm gone. But I'm less nervous about the math because I already have videos made for most of those lessons from last year. My students will have continuity in math instruction because of it.

5. Students were more successful and could tackle bigger challenges.

Last year was my best year ever as far as student performance on end-of-year assessments and benchmarks. I think a big part of that can be attributed to the move toward a flipped model for math. My students had more time and confidence to master the fourth grade standards, and as a result, I was easily able to push them into bigger challenges. When I surveyed the students mid-year about the flipped model, their responses were overwhelmingly positive in support of it, and I knew it was something I need to continue in the years ahead.

Next Steps

This will be the first year that I use the flipped model for the whole year, so I will need to prepare more video lessons and give some thought to how I'll transition my students (and their parents) toward this model. In the weeks ahead, I plan to share more about the tools I use to create flipped lessons and some troubleshooting tips for problems that might come up.

Now that I have some experience flipping, I'm going to go back and reread Flip Your Classroom: Reach Every Student in Every Class Every Day by Jonathan Bergmann and Aaron Sams. Jon was one of the speakers I saw at GaETC, and he's one of the founders of the flipped classroom movement. I read the book quickly as I started to flip, but I think there are more ideas to be pulled from it.



I'm also starting to think about other areas where I could flip instruction. One possibility might be some of the grammar, vocabulary, and word study components of my ELA block. I consistently struggle to fit everything in to that time, and flipping might be the answer. I've downloaded the book Flipping Your English Class to Reach All Learners: Strategies and Lesson Plans by Troy Cockrum, and I'm hoping that will give me some more inspiration.



Have you tried flipping any parts of your instruction? I'd love to hear more about your ideas and experiences in the comments!

10 comments:

  1. Love this model of a flipped classroom! Great job implementing it this year and good luck to you next year while implementing if for the entire year. Where do you post all your videos? How do you hold students accountable for watching the videos at home?

    Shepherd's Shining Stars

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! YouTube is blocked for students at my school, so I use Vimeo to upload and share the videos. That way, if a student doesn't watch the video as homework, we can still access it in the classroom. I count the videos as homework assignments, so they get the same consequences for missing it as they would any other assignment (it's linked to my class economy). I check students' notes at the beginning of math, and I usually include a practice problem at the end of the video to kick off our class discussion, so I can tell pretty quickly who hasn't watched. I have .mp3 players with the videos available for check out if students don't have tech access at home, so there really aren't any excuses. And the videos are less than 10 minutes -- much less time than many were spending on math homework in the past.

      Delete
  2. You said it all when you said, you didn't have to worry if you had a sub. Basically, it didn't matter if you were there. Maybe you should teach. Watching videos at home is not teaching.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm curious why you're "Not a Flipper Fan." I agree--watching videos at home is NOT teaching--it's homework that prepares for class so that when I'm actually with the students, I can meet them where they are and teach them what they need. I would argue that the traditional notion of whole class teaching is not actually "teaching" either since it doesn't account for the variations in skill levels or differentiating instruction.

      Delete
  3. Here at Clavax, we open new doors to controlling commercial and residential property. Our custom Real Estate Software Solution offers management software, broker solutions, accounting, and mobile apps - all designed for more efficient management, selling or buying assets.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Progressive web apps could be the next big thing for the mobile web. Originally proposed by Google in 2015, they have already attracted a lot of attention because of the relative ease of development and the almost instant wins for the application’s user experience. Hire top  PWA App Development to get your app developed.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a fantastic post! This is so chock full of useful information I can't wait to dig deep and start utilizing the resources you have given me. Your exuberance is refreshing. Lots of good advice here, but I want to plead with anybody planning to build auction software real estate to track business activity. Thanks again for this valuable post.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Amazing writing! Again, you provide several realistic ways. I want to thank you for your outstanding performance. In most cases, a mobile app development framework can help you choose the best framework to create a new mobile application. Thanks for sharing, as otherwise i would not have thought about trying this solution.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Once again you provide several doses of reality which explore the complete explanation of packing and moving companies in Bangalore . This article don't have to be that long. I simply couldn't leave your web site before suggesting that I actually loved the usual info on packing and movers services in Bangalore. I just want to know what is the best way to get real service.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for this great and useful information. RisingMax is one of the leading IT consulting companies in NYC offering 7 phases of the System Development Life Cycle, and information about software development cost breakdown all over the world. Reduce your cost by up to 55-65% by outsourcing your software development with us.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...